Thursday, November 22, 2007

Oh Yeah

I had a "Oh Yeah" moment this week. An "Oh Yeah" moment is when you used to know something really well, and then forgot about it completely until something triggers the memory and you slap your forehead with your hand and loudly say "Oh Yeah!" to no one in particular.
My moment happened Wednesday afternoon. I spent the morning in the clay studio because I am the Wednesday morning open studio volunteer. If someone needs to buy clay or have questions answered I do that, and if not, it's free play time for me. I arrived there Wednesday morning to find that a glaze firing had been done and finally I had some pieces completed. After open studio I dutifully wrapped them carefully in newspaper and came home. I lovingly unwrapped them and set them proudly on the kitchen table where Studyboy could admire them when he got home.
That's when it happened. The "Oh Yeah" moment. What I used to know but forgot about doing pottery is that eventually your house becomes the repository for every gawdawfuluglyasspieceofcripcrap you make. Then, not only must you constantly be reminded of your inadequate skills, but you also have to dust them!
Here's the thing. Each piece takes so long and has so much effort put into it that you are loathe to toss it out. Each piece may have one small element about it that you like, say for example the colour or the shape. Each piece may almost approximate a useful article like a mug or a plate but there is something wrong so that it doesn't work that well. It's too heavy, too small, doesn't pour well, whatever. So what you get in the end are a lot of dust magnets, paperweights and door stops. You can't give them away because it would be cruel to do that to the people you like, and it is too much bother to do that to the people you dislike.
Anybody need a mug shaped paperweight?
These could double as anchors for an oil tanker.











These are too small for anything except maybe sake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...You should take up knitting. You can wear what you make or, if it's simply too awful, you can rip it out and start over.

By the way, I like the colours of your pieces.