Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Postman Always Knocks 'Shave and A Haircut'

It doesn't have the same ring as the title of the classic dark thriller, but it has the advantage of being true.
Our postman really does knock "Shave and A Haircut' when he has a package to deliver. We get a lot of packages. Study boy has substituted buying tools on EBay with buying books on Barnes and Nobel (and Ebay, and Amazon...).
A few weeks ago I was walking the dog on Merrymeeting Road and we passed a postman delivering mail. It was our postman, I didn't recognise him because postmen are like waiters, they all look the same, but he stopped me and asked if I was going to be home that morning as he a parcel for me. I was blocks away from my house and he not only knew me out of context but also knew that somewhere in a truck full of mail, I was going to get a parcel that day. I am amazed at this. We live in a city! It's a small city, but I'll bet that his route has as much mail to deliver to as many households as a postman in TO.
Then this week, we came home to find a notice of attempted parcel delivery in the mailbox. That's the card they leave to tell you where you can go to pick up your mail, after noon the next day. Usually it is a postal outlet in a drugstore, in our case it is the Shoppers on LeMarchant Road. The card indicated we could pick it up at number 10. The postman had left our parcel with Fred and Jean next door. I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to do this. We live in a city. They don't even do this in the country! I'm not complaining, I liked it.
The next day I was walking the dog on Aldershot, blocks from my house when I saw our postman again. He asked if I got my parcel, and said that Fred and Jean have lived at number 10 for years so he figured it was OK. It's true, Fred and Jean have been at number 10 for fifty years. Apparently a constant address is a good enough reference for Canada Post.

No comments: