Thursday, February 26, 2009

First Glaze Kiln - very excited

The results are in, and they worked out better than I could hope for. I opened the glaze kiln this morning praying to whatever goddess of pottery there is that nothing nothing disastrous occurred yesterday. Like over firing, under firing, spattering, drooling, pocking or crazing. Vigilance paid off, and our test tiles are complete. (finally)


We now know exactly how long to cut them to be the same size as the other tiles we have, (6 5/8") and how to apply the glaze for best results (double dip.) You can see the dark even colour of the third tile.
We like the results of the dipped tiles best because the brushed ones are streaky and even with 3 coats the colour is not dark as the dipped tiles.
The relief of the tiles means air pockets sometimes happen so dipping can be tricky, but the the final results are worth it.
Now we actually have to get on with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope that you will be accepting commissions in the near future

I would like some encaustic medieval tiles for my bathroom please

Yana Out East said...

What a good idea. Floor or wall?

Anonymous said...

I love that blue! Even on my screen it's beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished results. Thank you for your wonderful posts!