Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kiln Snafu

I had a disappointing bisque fire yesterday. I was firing butter dishes, which are rather large for my teensy kiln. They are tall enough that the top shelf needed to be above the peep hole that lets me look into the kiln during firing. I had an awkward angle to try to see if the witness cone had started to bend. I thought I could see that it had started to bend, but apparently I was looking at something else completely because when I opened it up this morning I realised it was under fired.

What to do? I'm not sure how my glazes will react on under fired bisque ware. They could develop cracks or bubbles or holes. I could re-fired the bisque but that is annoying as it takes all day, and requires me to hang around. I also fired some pattern stamps I made. I was not going to bother glazing these, but now I may glaze their handles for testing how the glaze reacts to the bisque ware. If it is a disaster, then I will re fire the bisque, but if the glaze works out I won't bother.
Leaf, turtle, sun and ladybug stamps.

Today however we are back to making tiles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kiln Snafu. That would make a good name for a band. Do you sing or play an instrument?

Yana Out East said...

I could just about manage a tambourine. Or a shaker perhaps.
I do sing, but no so as anyone would want to listen. That never stopped Dylan of course.