Thursday, May 21, 2009

Confessions of a True Gardener

Many people think that being a professional gardener is a great job, and well, they are right actually. I can't complain because I get paid to do what many of you do on weekends for fun. (Without the sex and alcohol obviously. The Town of Wolfville isn't that great a workplace.)
This doesn't mean that the job doesn't have any hazards. Last weekend for example it rained very hard, which made the flower beds very wet. When this happens I try to keep my hands dryish in my work gloves by wearing disposable rubber gloves inside them. This works well and has the added bonus of keeping my hands cleaner than on most days.
On Tuesday, after the long rainy weekend, I was working at the recreation centre when I heard nature call. It could have been that second cup of tea at lunch, who knows? The Rec centre has been recently renovated and is very posh with motion sensor lighting and automatically flushing loos. After doing a little pee dance to make the light come on, I failed to take off my second set of gloves before operating the zipper on my fly with the result that I got my rubber glove caught in the zipper as it went down. I mean really caught. So caught that I spent several minutes trying to get it up again, with the results that the lights went off. Now I'm in complete darkness with my pants unzipped.
So I do the only thing I can think of, which is grope to the exit and call to my workmate to come help. Alas, nothing was to be done, and I finished my day with the wardrobe malfunction hidden beneath a long t shirt.
Gardening can be hazardous.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Motion sensor lights in a washroom do seem hazardous. You should sue the town for emotional distress. Tell them you're incapable of ever wearing gloves again.