Sunday, July 25, 2010

Playing with Clay Again

After a 6 week hiatus, (really has it been that long?) I went back into the studio this week spurred on partly by some frustrations at work. Pottery as therapy. I threw a couple pitchers, or maybe they are jugs, on Thursday. One was OK the other not great both in shape and proportion. Frankly after several weeks of not doing anything, I expected to get nothing at all so 50% is not so bad. With the fugly one I experimented with pulling a handle with the clay already attached. I have never done this before, but as I am never happy with the shape and attachments of my handles I figured it couldn't hurt to try something new, especially on a piece that was already doomed. I am not any more happy with the result as with my usual method. I can never seem to get the shape symmetrical on both sides, or straight on the piece or the attachments as artless as other potters seem to be.
On Saturday we went to Halifax to see the summer craft show of the Nova Scotia Designer Craft Council. It is a smaller show than the Christmas one, but it was still fun to see. It was a recon mission to scope how others sent up their booths and to steal ideas for making things. Everyone has a different way to deal with displaying their wares, my favourite was using drum stands as tiny tables for a jewelry display. Too small for pots, but I did see some modular shelves that were infinitely adaptable to different sized wares depending on what kind of show.
It was also good because I came back jazzed up to make some new things. I began almost right away with some slump molding. I tried this once in Newfoundland, and it was good but the piece cracked before it finished drying so I didn't try it again. It is good to get away from the cult of round and just make fun things for the joy of it. I'm trying a looser approach, at least this week.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Well done getting back into the clay. I usually find that day one after a break is a desperate struggle, and I make mud pies and mess and wonder about the meaning of life!

I pull most of my handles with the clay already attached. I'm not very good at it, but I like the way a pulled handle seems to be more in harmony with the pot somehow. Sometimes I start by attaching a little sausage of clay and pulling that into the handle, other times I attach a pulled strap that is a bit thick still and needs further work.

I have put a link to your site on mine. You were listed under America for a day or two (apologies for that), but you now are under Canada!:)

Lori said...

I applaud your determination because damn that looks and sounds hard. I'll stick to playing with wool.

Anonymous said...

Cheers for the encouragement Peter, after I posted this I did some video watching on UTube and I think I'm just as bemused as ever, but I'll keep at it.