Thursday, December 9, 2010

December off to a bad start.

The first week of December seems to be cursed.
I was thinking this on Tuesday as I drove home from visiting Parrsboro, the town where I grew up and where my parents still live. I went for a funeral of a friend's grandfather. Listening to the radio in the car, I realized that it was the anniversary of the Ecole Polytechnique massacre in Montreal 21 years ago, where 14 women were deliberately killed and others wounded as they attended classes.
It was also December 6th that the Halifax Explosion occurred in 1917 killing 2000 people, wounding about 9000 more and devastating much of the city.
Last week, before I left for the funeral, I got an email from a friend who had had a very bad day where she ran out of heating oil, had to give away some ruined produce, lost some cash, had a car accident and needed to wallow.
Just last night another friend recounted her first week of December saying Monday she had a flat tire, Tuesday she hit a deer on the road, Wednesday her computer hard drive died and she lost everything, Friday her sink backed up and her vacuum blew up just before dinner guests arrived.
Today I opened my email to find two obituaries.
I'm sure there are good things going on somewhere, but it does appear that the first week of December is a rough time.

No comments: