Thursday, January 10, 2008

Gentlemen Amongst Gruel

I went shopping this week for all those things I didn't get for Christmas. It is suspect to me that fashion dictates I must wear pants that have the problem of constantly slipping down my bum so that the solution is either to:
1. constantly hike them up every time I get up, bend over or walk more than 6 steps
or
2. (wait for it) Buy Something.

Fashion won the battle, I bought a belt. BUT, my consumer hold out was not entirely in vain. I bought it at a closing out sale at something like 80% off.
But because the prices were so good I actually bought two.
So in the Yana vs Consumerism war I'm not sure who's winning anymore.
When I got the belt home, I clipped off the tags and then I read what I clipped off. And laughed. It seems in the Consumer Wars it is not enough to buy; you must be branded too. This is not news, but I was unaware that an item as simple as a belt could be a branded statement. Shoes, I get shoes. And handbags OK, but a belt?
I think I was supposed to read the tag before I bought the belt, and it would entice me to 'buy in' but had I read the tag in the store I would have left it there. I'm not sure who this marketing strategy is aimed at, but the tag was so funny, I'm going to reprint it here in hopes that one of you will be able to explain - Who thinks this is a good idea?
This is what the tag said, just as it is written, questionable grammar, punctuation et al:

Touche!
On choosing such an exquisite
And finely crafted garment.
Welcome to the PRIVATE RESERVE,
you are now part of the
upper level of society?

Gentlemen amongst gruel, you might say!
We are the elite and forthright...
Those that have rather than have not.
Those who would rather not be,
than be less than what we are
(which of course is Perfect)

I mean look at us, the creme de la creme,
Top notch, superb.
Ahh, just come of benefits of
wearing this new collection.

Come closer!
I need to tell you something!
If you repeat it I will deny it!
but I also heard there is a
footwear collection to match!
Kudos to those who made
this club possible, loudos!

Well I'm off, secret society meetings
Cheerios!
And once again
Welcome to PRIVATE RESERVE

Perhaps I should describe the item that will elevate me to a new level of society. Man's black leather belt, heavy brass buckle,1.5 inches wide with some small stamped coronets and fleur de lis as a pattern on the leather.
Don't get me wrong, Baroness Orczy and I spent three consecutive summers together in high school, when I was a silly girl and hadn't yet discovered the Brontes.
But Gadzooks! and Zounds! I'm going to have to check if my life membership to the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel is still active.
Cheerios!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you take a picture of the tag? I'm dying to see this thing. What was it, a scroll?

Anonymous said...

Alas, it was garbage day today and the tag is but a memory. It was just a 2x3 black card with gold lettering. Completely unremarkable as long as you didn't actually read it.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.