Thursday, January 24, 2008

When Studyboy was Carpenter Man

Last weekend Studyboy was asked to do some handy work at a friend's house. Nothing big, just hang a couple kitchen shelves and a bathroom vanity cabinet in exchange for lunch. I was invited along for the lunch.
Malin is from Sweden, so naturally all the pieces were from IKEA. Swedes consider assembling IKEA pieces without instructions to be their birthright. She was pretty adept at it actually and I struggled to keep pace when we assembled the vanity cabinet while the boys did mysterious things with stud finders and magnets in the kitchen.
While assembly might be a birthright, actually attaching things to the wall requires an expert, and so Carpenter Man made a brief appearance. It was nice to see him again. Apparently Malin and Pablo have been waiting 8 months to get the shelves put up. I know how they feel, I waited at least that long for a bathtub.
And lunch was certainly worth a little work with a hex key and a level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do love your blog! Thanks for making me laugh. I think it's genetic: Swedes are genetically predisposed to assemble IKEA furniture without instructions. Either that or they're brainwashed. When I was in Sweden 8 years ago, my family really wanted me to go to the IKEA in Stockholm. They were really disappointed when I ran out of time and couldn't go. The next time I'm there, I'll be sure to make it a priority to go. And then I'll have a McDonald's hamburger while I'm at it.