Friday, May 16, 2008

Lost in Translation

At the plant nursery where I work, I am constantly hearing new Newfoundlandisms which I always forget long before I get home. If I thought no one would notice I would keep a notebook with me and scribble them down.
Today being the start of the May long weekend however, I was struck by some idioms important enough to remember.
Firstly, this is the May 24th long weekend. It is not the Victoria Day weekend, Newfoundlanders follow the English tradition in this way. The English never seemed call it Victoria Day either, go figure.
Also, it is not the Two-Four weekend, because ironically you can't buy beer by the TwoFour here. And unless they have been away to Canada (a good bet, but still) they don't know what a TwoFour is. The province which undoubtedly has the highest consumption of beer per capita sells it only by the dozen, or a half.
This lead to the next conversation topic. A half is a 6 pack.
A flask of liquor is what is known as a pint (in Canada).
A quart (in Canada) is simply termed 'a bottle.'
Regardless of the weather (which continues to be RDF all day, everyday) Newfoundlanders go camping and fishing this weekend. Except it isn't called fishing, it's called troutin'. (Fishing is, I suppose, something done in the North Atlantic while looking for cod.)
Many go to the provincial parks and campgrounds around, but a few hardy souls strike out for the wilderness. One woman I work with is doing this as I type, despite the fact the the woods adjacent to the nursery still have 2 feet of snow covering the ground. Newfoundlanders are extremely proud of their May 24th camping tradition, they seem to feel they invented it and that no one else could possibly be doing the same thing this weekend. Camping occupied no less than four separate reports on the supper hour newscast tonight, three of which were weather related. (ie. "How does the weather affect your camping plans this weekend?", "Slow down as you're leaving town because the fog makes visibility difficult." and "An historic look back in the archives to the May 24th weekend of 1984, when there was still 4 feet of snow everywhere and no one could go camping.") The weather forecast, and the cancelled flights at the airport due to the weather rounded out the news hour. I am not making this up.
Before anyone comments, this is the CBC. The other guys are much much worse.
I'm considering putting the St. John's forecast on this blog page. "Cause if you can't beat 'em, maybe you can shoot yourself in the head instead."
We are not embracing the culture and going camping this weekend. I had my share of RDF tenting in BC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, go ahead and carry the notebook because it would be worth it. I think I'd be pretty happy living there. Except for the mandatory camping.