Friday, May 2, 2008

Re-Lent-Less

Definition of relentless: Newfoundland spring.
Today, we saw blue sky for 30 minutes, the first time in 8 days. (And there was great rejoicing.) The temperatures soared to a balmy 6 degrees Celsius, well above the average daily high of 2 degrees with a wind chill of -5.
Although for days our weather announcer has been promising a break in the drizzle and fog I have lost all hope of that happening before July.
Canvassing my co-workers at the nursery I have learned that this March-like hell we are experiencing is completely normal and that this is indeed what Newfoundlanders consider spring. We had freezing fog this morning.
I am wearing more clothes to work now than I ever wore to walk the dog all winter. Winter was in fact warmer because when it wasn't snowing it was sunny. And the province wasn't surrounded by icebergs, essentially turning the Avalon Peninsula into an outdoor icebox.
Yesterday it was announced that there are 22 icebergs off the coast from Pouch Cove to Cape Spear, a distance of less than 30km as the ship sails. Although, if I were in a ship sailing on those waters I be sure to leave my Celine Dion CD at home.
I have started taking cocoa to work because break time is only 15 minutes long, and it takes at least twenty to peel off all the layers when the tea caffeine hits my bladder.
Every morning as I drive to work, I hear the commuter report on the radio. With heavy fog and drizzle making visibility almost nil, the reporter on CBC radio cheerfully announces how many moose have been sighted on the outer ring road. (Today it was 9) I haven't spotted any yet, but with the fog so thick I could have followed one all the way to the airport without knowing it. Unlike the Elk at Banff though, Moose don't seem to hang out at the airport. Maybe because everybody they know is already here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that you wouldn't really want to know that today, I was out in the meadow putting in my new strawberries and raspberries.

I have news for you, but can't find an email for you Jana

yanaouteast said...

Did I mention the freezing fog? No I do NOT want to know as I already watch the weather network just to compare temperatures with the rest of the country. I'm sick that way.

I've tried both emails I have for you, Aj. I hope the news is juicy and about other people.