Friday, January 9, 2009

Hitting is Allowed

After a too long absence of physical activity, I started back to curling last night. It was meant to be the night before but a storm of freezing rain made the roads too slippery to attempt on Wednesday. Last night the roads were snow covered but not too bad and so I ventured out to Wolfville to resume that most Canadian of winter activities. (More Canadian than Hockey because you can do it with a beer in your hand.)
I didn't curl in St. John's because the dues were very expensive and everyone at the St. John's curling club seemed to be a retired banker or insurance salesman. It would not be an exaggeration to say that their post game conversation was as interesting as you would expect it to be.
Surprisingly I don't hurt much today, a little stiff in the neck and shoulders from sweeping I think. How did I do? A team mate said I wasn't totally awful. And another noted that I didn't fall over as sometimes I am want to do. Personally I don't think I was any worse than before. I was tired though. I hit the wall after throwing my second rock of the second end, and worried that I wasn't going to be able to make it another 6 ends. Happily the game was mostly hitting (or in my case - attempted hitting) which didn't require a lot of sweeping and made the time go by fast. We lost, but it wasn't completely my fault, and the upside to losing is that you win a free drink.
Here's to losing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, here's to losing! I know a thing or two about that myself.