Thursday, January 29, 2009

Second Hurtle

If the first hurtle for getting a new shower was to make sure the kiln worked, then the second was to get a waterproof floor in the sunroom to be able to have a studio space for extruding tiles. We're almost there. The grout needs to be put on, but that is really easy compared to all the bits that come before.




Peter put down ditra underlay on Monday with thinset. (It's the orange stuff.) While he did that, I selected tiles and laid them out out in the next room, then set them in place for a perfect fit.

Then Peter cut the edge tiles to fit. Notice how the tile cutter is set up in front of the oven, because where else would you put it? That was pretty much a full day.








Then we went to Mahone Bay for lunch with friends on Tuesday, and it was a good thing too. I could barely walk for two days after squatting and lifting 3/8th inch slate tiles for several hours on Monday. It was like I'd spent the weekend on a horse. (And before anyone asks, yes I HAVE spent a weekend on a horse) Even my glutimus maximus hurt and I had to walk bowlegged.
Wednesday it turns out, we had to make a trip to Burnside to pick up the bed we shipped from Newfoundland, so I was given an extra day to recover from Monday.
Today we mortared the floor in place. Beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to keep out of any discussion about not being able to walk after spending a weekend doing ANYTHING and just say I like the tiles. They're purty.

Lester's Mama said...

NB: It's 'hurdle' - as in the thing you have to jump over in a race, not 'hurTle"

Yana Out East said...

Maybe it's so slow, it's like turtle with an H.
Yana