Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lots and Lots of Pots

We fired up the large kiln for the first time last week on Friday. I figured I had enough pots lying around waiting to be glazed that I could fill it. It was a bit scary. We we got it out of storage to have a good look, and the electrical wiring seemed a bit dodgy to me. Old, and the insulation looked cracked in places. The other one spent a few days sourcing proper sized wire and a socket to make it alright to use. The plug that came on it was undersized. Some of the kiln brick is a bit crumbly where it had been previously patched and the two lower prongs on the kiln sitter were broken off. Before we put a lot of time and effort to fix it up, I decided we should see if the elements were OK first. They all seemed to work in a test when I candled the kiln for a few hours to drive the damp out, so I loaded it up and had a go. In fact, I had more than enough pots to fill it because as you can see, I have a shortage of proper sized shelves, and so I still have some for another go which I will try to get into the mid sized kiln tomorrow.

All went well. (Read: Nothing blew up or caught fire.) The top part of the kiln was a little hotter than the bottom, and I turned the top elements off and waited an extra 20 minutes for the cone on the bottom shelf to drop before I turned the other switches off completely. With the top element off, the kiln seemed to stay at 2160 F nicely (according to the analog pyrometer) without moving up or down.

On Sunday, I tried to photograph my new pots, but I was unhappy with the results and so spent two days researching how to photograph ceramics. Here are two of the not too terrible photography attempts.
There is just so much to know isn't there? So now I'm off to make a light box, find a gradated (graduated?) background and figure out the white balance on my camera...

3 comments:

Lester's Mama said...

You need to add something for scale. Like a shiny copper penny.

Lori said...

Beautiful work. I admire your bravery too; I'd find anything that gets that hot too scary to use. Wool = room temperature.

Yana Out East said...

The bowl is about 3 inches deep and 6 inches wide at rim. Salsa dip sized for a party.
The vast is 5 inches deep and 4 inches wide at rim. I use a similar one for storing my paint brushes in. It might be OK for dried flowers or short stem cut flowers.
I saw a cool idea for a yarn keeper the other day. I may make you each one for your birthdays.