Sunday, April 4, 2010

Psanky

I learned a new word this weekend, and also a new skill. Did you know that those Ukrainian (and other Easter eggs) were called Psanky? Me neither but now I do. Sounds more naughty when you put it that way doesn't it?
And I learned how to do it, which I always wanted to try. I got the chance this weekend when friend mentioned last week that her family do it as a tradition each Easter, even though they are not Ukrainian or even that religious.
I went at 10 am and 4 and a half hours later this is what I had. I was at least smart enough to decorate the front and back side with different colours so it looks like I made two. This is a craft that takes a long time.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Wow. It's awesome. Don't drop it.

Lester's Mama said...

It's Pysanka; plural is pysankas.

Have you seen the big pysanka in Vegraville, Alberta? It's pretty amazing. It's on a pivot so that it acts like a windvane and turns with the wind.

http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/egg.htm

Yana Out East said...

I have seen the Vegraville egg. We have a picture of us in front of it. We didn't see the perogie on a fork though.

Lester's Mama said...

The perogy is neat but the fork it's on is awesome. The size if unbelievable.