Saturday, October 23, 2010

Goods and Bads of the Craft Fair Circuit

The last few weeks I've been stressing about my first official craft show which was today. I've been pushing stuff through the kiln, hoping I had enough to actually make a display. Pulling my hair out when the glaze results were disappointing and getting really frustrated when many of my large bowls developed cracks.
No matter how unprepared I was though, the show came anyway, and today we went. That is not the royal We, Peter went too.
It was a small show in a local school that was a fund raiser for the football team. There were a number of crafters there, two gymnasiums full. (is that meant to be gymnasia? yes I think so but the spell checker doesn't agree) I was the only potter, which was good and bad. Good because anyone who was desperate for pottery had to come to me, and good because there was no real potter's pottery that people could look at and then realize that mine is pretty rudimentary. Bad because apparently not that many people were desperate for pottery today. Bad because I was hoping to snoop other booths before the show to decide out what sort of prices would be reasonable. There was nothing comparable, except a glass slumping artist who used recycled liquor bottles to make trays and I didn't see her until after lunch. Bad because much of the craft was someone's Granny who has nothing else to do and so sells extremely elaborate and time consuming items for less than what it would take to buy the materials. Bad also because what with buying Blackberry Jam, Chicken Bones* and coffees and lunches at the school cafeteria I think we took in $2 less than we spent.


This purple butter dish was much admired and handled, but no one bought it.

More Bads than Goods.
It was a very slow day, everyone said so. And this was a Good. We got to chat to a lot of the regulars that do the craft fair circuit, and they are all very friendly and welcoming and supportive of each other and us. If we hadn't talked to anyone, I think I would have come home completely demoralized and just packed it all in right then and there. But it was apparent that no one was selling much at all. Even the stuff that was cheaper than dirt wasn't moving.



This new Spiderweb bowl was much admired and handled, but no one bought it.

On second thought, as pottery is comprised mainly of dirt I think I will retire that expression, because my dirt wasn't that cheap. After agonizing over pricing, I don't think that I would have sold any more pots if my prices were lower, but I do know I would have been much less satisfied to sell more pots at lower prices. At the end of the day, I think the people who come out to support a Football Club fundraiser in a rural high school are simply not the people who want a One-of-a Kind, handcrafted butter dish. I realized this when one woman asked if I had a margarine holder instead, something she could slot a Becel tub directly into. My first thought was, "Why would anyone want to eat Becel?"



I have heard other potters say that everyone wants blue, and it is true,
many people admired this mug with the blue rim, but no one bought it.


The next fair is in two weeks. Hopefully it will be better. I am no longer stressed about having enough stuff for a display, at this rate I could do 10 more Fairs without stepping into the studio. But I will keep at it instead, because pottery must be like gardening; you only do it if deep down you are an optimist.

*Chicken Bones are a candy, often seen around Christmas, that are long pink hard candies with chocolate stripes up the centre.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Aw, that's too bad business was so slow. I went around to all the local craft fairs the year we moved here and was so underwhelmed by the quality and creativity of most of the goods offered, I haven't gone to any since. But I'll go this year if I know you'll be there. Where and when is the next show?

Yana Out East said...

You are such a cheer leader, but the next one looks to be about as bad. I can't believe they charge people to get in. Next one is Nov 6 at the Coldbrook Wandyln. I'm sure candles and tole painting will be out in full force.

Peter said...

I feel sorry for you, it is horrible sitting there trying to smile at non existent customers, and so difficult trying to price work (especially for shows where it turns out that the person on the next door stall has just turned out their grand mother's attic and is trying to get rid of the junk for next to nothing..). I've just heard that I have sold nothing at a show that I was guest potter at that ran over this weekend just past.. I do wonder why we do it! Anyway, good luck for the next fair... I'll be thinking of you (I have work in a small craft show at the end of next week).
Sometimes I think people honestly prefer plastic ... which goes to show that the human race has reached tipping point, it's all down hill from here!
Blaaaaaaaaaah! Boo Hoo! Peter xx

Yana Out East said...

Peter, You are wonderful, thanks for the commiseration. I'm now considering taking up blow moldable plastics instead, thanks for the tip.
J

Lester's Mama said...

The spider web bowl would make a lovely xmas gift for someone, say like an elderly spinster sister.