Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

We went to the folks for turkey day this weekend. Managed to steal extra turkey to bring home for a leftovers meal tonight. Yum.
The weatherman is calling for frost tonight so I harvested the last of the tomatoes and the cukes in the garden this afternoon. The cukes were numerous, huge and probably a bit tough. I am getting a little tired of Greek salad for lunch so I put them out at the end of the driveway with a sign that said Free. Hopefully someone making pickles will rescue them. I just don't have the time or the inclination. The tomatoes were washed and sorted into three piles. The ripe and ready had the bad bits cut off and went directly into the freezer. The green ones went into a box and got covered with newspaper. The in-betweens got put on top of the box and will be eaten or frozen as they ripen. By the time I'm through those, the green ones should be ripe too.
I dried a bunch of herbs a few weeks ago, but not many. I tried to get back out tonight before it go dark to grab some more to dry but it didn't happen. So I went out with the flashlight and grabbed the basil at least. While this sounds funny, the farmer growing cow corn in the field next door is out there in his harvester as we speak. So if I'm not in good company, I'm in professional company. The rest of the herbs are perennial, but it is such a shame to waste basil, especially when it dries so well. Now the house smells so much like fresh cut basil that it is giving me a headache.
No pictures with this post because the battery in the camera is dead. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: