Thursday, March 11, 2010

Curling Mash Up

So I had this brilliant idea the other day. I like classic novels, particularly the Miss Jane Austen kind, but I'm also rather fond of the Brontes. I also like ironic post modern fiction, so I'm not above reading those (mostly) dreadful fan fic mash ups that are on the book store shelves recently. I admit to buying Pride and Prejudice and Zombies simply for the cover art, but I was utterly disappointed by the completely bad writing. Not Jane's obviously, but that other fellow who inserted the Zombies. Unlike (I think) most P&P fans, I found P&P&Z annoying not because there were zombies, but because the zombie parts were crap. I mean, if you're going to put your stuff right next to Jane's, it better be good right? Otherwise you run the risk that you just look really really bad. Like Leonardo DiCaprio in The Man In the Iron Mask along side real actors like John Malkovich and Jeremy Irons. (Who thought that was a good idea?)
No, the really annoying thing about P&P&Z is that I could have done it better. If only someone had suggested to me first. So here comes my big idea. Given that mashups are big, and right now Curling is big. I know Curling. I know Classics. I know mashups. It's perfect. I am going to write a Classic/Curling mashup. At first I thought I should just insert some curling mayhem into the Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Then I thought, I'll put a Canadian spin on it (because that's what is missing from all these other mashups isn't it?) and I'll mashup a classic Canadian play with a classic English novel and call it The Black Bonspiel of Wildfell Hall.
This is going to be Awesome.

1 comment:

Lester's Mama said...

So, instead of pipe-fitting Charlie, we would have broom-pushing Arthur?