Friday, March 5, 2010

Disaster Averted

Had my first kiln disaster this week. Almost. I'm still waiting for power (still, yes still) to fire the larger kiln so I have become adept at packing the small one as full as possible. And I guess I got a little cocky.
Lots of bad things can happen when firing a kiln.
Things can stick to the shelves or each other.
Things can explode.
Things can crack.
Things can get stuck inside another and this is what happened to me.
I placed a smaller bowl inside a large one and then decided to put a trimming chuck inside the smaller bowl. This can be dangerous because pots shrink in the kiln, but at a certain temperature they also got through an expansion stage, and if stacked pots expand and shrink different amounts they can get stuck together. My trimming chuck got stuck in the bottom of the bowl. At first, I was uncertain if it was because of the shrinking or because I had slipped the bowl with the dark colour and they got fused. I'd never made slip before (new skill for me, yay) and I was perhaps overconfident when I packed the kiln. I tired to pull them apart but no go. I wondered if I should just say it was a chip and dip bowl, or fill the centre with wax and say it was a very large table centre piece. I figured at the very least I could break the bowl and keep the chuck, but my Knight in Ceramic Armour managed to twist them apart and they released with out breaking. Crisis averted. Whew.

No comments: