Friday, April 24, 2009

First Pay Cheque

Today was a first paycheque day. I celebrated by buying seeds, potting soil and mushroom compost. We have had several nice sunny days but with cool winds, which is not so bad for working. This weekend though is supposed to get into the teens, so I'm going to start up the greenhouse and see if I can get seedlings for a veggie patch started.
My municipal career may be short lived. The Town of Wolfville has a projected budget shortfall this year, and while directors and councillors have apparently been batting budget proposals back and forth since January they are running out of time to reconcile how to deal with the shortfall. The entire staff of the town was called to a meeting on Tuesday to hear the bad news. So far everyone is hoping that various budgets can be cut enough to make up the difference without losing either services or staff, but the message we were given was that some of us may not be here in three weeks time. Yikes!
On Wednesday the new senority list was posted and everyone was mighty interested to make sure it was correct. On the theory that the last one hired is the first to go, I have no delusions that I'm out of a job if it comes to that. Particularly since things like water, sewer fire department and policing always trump parks and recreation.
Safe drinking water vs pretty gardens is kind of a no brainer. We are deemed non essential services, and then Study boy pointed out that when it comes to the bottom line, schools always cut music and art first.
So if I'm laid off in three weeks, that would make my municipal career a whopping 6 weeks long. Which, when you consider that a long term contract in the perfoming arts is about 5 weeks, is not so bad. At least I'm used to looking for work. But I did get into horticulture with the idea that I wouldn't have to look for a new job every month. And now of course all the good gardening jobs are taken and what is left are the very hard labour, very low paying crappy jobs. Maybe potting will become full time earlier than I planned.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Uh oh. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.