Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Wierd Easter

Happy Easter a little late. My Easter had more to do with watching curling and live entertainment than chocolate this year. Forget about the guyonastick, my Easter never has anything to do with that.

I started work last week, and put in a hard four days before my first holiday. Actually, not all that hard as it turned out. Day 1 and 2 were mostly orientation and pfaffing around. Day 3 and 4 were a lot of raking, but curling seemed to have my arms in shape enough that on Good Friday I spent most of the day doing the same thing again at home. I uncovered snowdrops and crocuses at home, and discovered other promises of spring too.
Definition of a bus man's holiday. Only in this case I'm a gardener (obviously.)

On Saturday we went to see our friend Sharon in a new play called Toxic Bus, a production for One Light Theatre in Halifax. Sharon was awesome! It was the first time we have seen her on stage so that was fun, although the play had possibilities that just didn't get realized. Peter felt it was a play about a lot of people he didn't like, and so didn't care about. I feel the same way about Wuthering Heights which is apparently a classic that everyone else loves, so it is possible that this will become a Canadian classic. Maybe you should go see it just in case. The admission is only $17, what have you got to lose? It runs until April 24 at Neptune's Studio Theatre. For tickets go to www.onelighttheatre.com

On Sunday we did a nod to some Home Improvement. Peter decided on Friday (whilst I was raking) that we wanted to put the snow blower away in the garden shed. When he walked into the garden shed however he put his foot through the floor where it had rotted. So in order to put away the snow blower he had to rebuild the floor, and while he was at it, he fixed the leaky roof which had caused the floor to rot in the first place. We finished that up on Sunday, racing to be ahead of the 15 cm snowfall warning for King's County. (So, we didn't put the snow blower away after all....)
Definition of irony. Only in this case no irons were involved, (obviously.)
Ironically, we didn't get the snowfall, but we still haven't put away the snow blower...

On Monday my dad, sister and I went to a show at the Metro Centre called Celtic Thunder. For those who don't know (and I was one of them) this is a
Sorry, I've seen the show and I still can't tell you what it is.
But it is on PBS and it is very popular.

My dad is a fan, and so we got tickets and went. Essentially it is the Naughts version of Lawrence Welk. Cheesy looking but musically tight (if a little insipid.) Imagine if you will Phantom of the Opera merged with Great Big Sea. Five men in kilts ages 17 to 41 singing and doing choreography seemingly inspired by The Full Monty. Add vari lites, rear projection, front projection, fog, dry ice and canned sync tracks to an over amplified mainly acoustic band and you are starting to get the picture.
The drummer was amazing. Truly, I'm sure all the performers were very talented but the packaging got in the way for me. The drummer was amazing enough to come through the packaging. And I'm not just saying that because he was cute and had drummer arms and I was sitting right where I could look up his kilt.
All in all it was not a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours.

Plus I think the last show my sister, dad and I went to was The Empire Strikes Back. So we were due.

1 comment:

Lori said...

"...The Phantom of the Opera merged with Great Big Sea." Hmm. You must really love your Dad.