Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Cleaning and Tile Glazing

Today is the last day of being a bum. Tomorrow I start work again for the gardening season. Typically, I spent the last week rushing around doing all the things I meant to do while I was off. Cleaning out the basement, rediscovering treasures and freecycling bits of odd junk that accumulates in boxes over the years. Cleaning out the greenhouse, fixing the clothes line, cleaning out the deep freeze. Taxes never seem to make it onto the list before spring thaw.

I also fired several glaze kilns full of shower tiles. This is how the pottery shards fall:
I made 40 tiles.
1 broke while I was smoothing the finish in the leather hard stage.
1 I chipped the corner off in the greenware stage. (but I fired it anyway)
6 came out of the first firing (bisque) too warped to use.
1 got dropped (and chipped) going into the glaze kiln (but I fired it anyway)
12 came out of the glaze kiln ready to use.
7 came out streaky but looking like almost passable seconds.
15 came out suffering glaze defects and need to be re-glazed. Mostly they had small pin holes in the surface of the glaze or the glaze 'crawled' meaning it left large bare patches on the surface unglazed.
Pin holing happens because the kiln cools too fast, I fixed that by stepping the kiln back to medium and then low once it reached the final temperature.
I don't know why the crawling happened, but I think I over fired the last batch and that is when it happened.
If you are counting, that's 19 good, 21 bad. I'm not quite batting 50% yet. We need 28 in total for the shower.
The pin holing and the streaky colour can be re-glazed. I'm not sure about the crawling. But as my kiln only holds 9 tiles each time, I have at least 1 more glaze fire before we start constructing the shower.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Reading your tile adventures reminds me why I knit: yarn is unbreakable and almost everything is reversible. This pottery stuff is too scary for me.

Yana Out East said...

Peter has been talking about making a forge in the backyard for metal casting and re-enamelling the bathtub. Talk about scary.