Friday, April 24, 2009

New pots

Last weekend I took a break from re-firing tiles to bisque fire some coil jugs I made ages ago. This a speckled red stoneware clay, when I put a glaze on it, the speckles should come out. I think this weekend I may try to mix up various glazes for testing. And then I can see what colour I want to glaze these. At the moment I'm thinking either a clear or a white would be interesting with the red. I've been lurking around a number of slipware pottery blogs and I'm really starting to love the red earthenware with white over top style. Ironically when I started pottery 10 years ago, I was in a low-fire earthen ware studio and hated the limitations of the glaze colours. Now that I'm making stoneware, the brighter glazes are not as important.

You can see some of the bathroom tiles stacked up on the shelf above the jugs. We are up to 21 usable ones. This is a better picture of them laid out.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Ooh, make sure you post pictures of the jugs when they're finished. I'm looking forward to the final result. And the tiles look very nice.